Saturday, June 23, 2007

Stone Town, Zanzibar

After 5 days on the beach on the North Shore, we have moved to Stonetown - which is the largest city on Zanzibar - where about 200,000 people live. It is on the West Coast and about 30km from Dar es Salaam. I'm quite tan after being on the beach, a bit sunburned in random places (that always happens), and attracting new bugs to bite me. We got here yesterday and today took a Spice Tour - after all, Zanzibar is known as the Spice Island! We went to a spice farm, and were shown all sorts of plants and trees - cinnamon, cloves, ginger, curry, vanilla, etc and also all sorts of fruit trees and plants - oranges, litchi, pineapple, etc. It was really good, we got to taste a lot of different things, but as I'm not much of a cooker, I didn't buy any spices to bring back. If you want something, let me know, I'll see what I can do!

Tomorrow, the girls and I will take a Historical Walking tour of the city - and learn more about Zanzibar's part in the slave trade. We've run into some other bschool friends here and they really enjoyed their time, etc. I only have 5 days left of my journey! I fly back to NYC on Wednesday night, arriving on Thursday - I'm excited for the movies I'll have on KLM - good airline! Africa has been wonderful, I highly recommend it for those of you who have not yet been here - the scenery and animals are amazing! And come in the winter (our summer) - the weather is great, and not too hot!

No comments: